Office 365 Set-Up
All Oxford students are able to get one free copy of Microsoft Office, which you can keep using as long as you are here (you have to register for it every year, which takes 5 minutes). It is called Office 365, and it contains all the Office programs you would normally use (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook etc.)
It also has OneDrive (see below) built in, which allows you to save your documents online, and access them anywhere you have an internet connection (saving you the trouble of doing backups, and meaning you can access any documents you save there from any college or personal computer without having to carry around a memory stick).
Start by clicking here
From here, click sign in in the top right hand corner. Type your Webauth Single Sign On username and password (e.g. jesu**** that you use to sign into your university email address).
Click on “Student”, and you should see the package for Office 365 ProPlus in front of you. Click this.
You will be asked to provide your name and email address. Once you have completed the forms, you will be emailed your Microsoft Account Details. These can also be found under “Order Details”.
Your account name should be your nexus email address minus ”jesus.” so “firstname.lastname@example.org”.
Finally, you need to go to the Microsoft Website to download your copy of Office.
Once you have logged in and clicked install you should see this screen. Follow the onscreen steps to complete setup.
OneDrive is the cloud technology service that comes with all recent office programs. It allows you to save up to 15GB of files, photos etc, and then access them anywhere on a machine that has OneDrive installed. We recommend using it to save any files you want to keep on your JCR account, as we do not provide network storage for your college account.
As an added convenience, it will allow you to access any files you make on your personal PC and save to the cloud on the JCR machines, and vice versa. To get access to it on your personal machine you should download office 365, which is free for all students while they study at Oxford University.
OneDrive is incredibly easy to set up, and even easier to use.
1. Open your Office program. This guide will be using Word, but this works exactly the same in all other Office programs.
2. Go to file, in the top left, and then open the save as tab in the menu on the left hand side.
3. Go to OneDrive, and then press the sign in button.
4. If you don’t have a Microsoft account, you need to go and create one.
5. Type in the email address you used to create your Microsoft account, it will identify your account and then ask you for a password. After that, you’re done! Just log in and start using it. Simply choose OneDrive as your save location instead of the local computer.
6. OneDrive can also store non-Microsoft office documents. Just go to the site, sign in, and then upload or download your files anywhere.
7. You can even use OneDrive to share files between different accounts. Just follow the instructions upon first logging in online.